
For those of you who don't know the latest, Kenrik is in the ICU being observed. Waiting for his liver and spleen to heal.
Today during band, around 10:25, Kenrik and some of his classmates were taking a water break in the hall. One of his friends said "I wonder if I can run on that rail" The rail separates stairs from a ramp in the hallway. Kenrik thought to himself I've walked on it tons of times. So he ran, jumped up onto the rail, ran 3 steps and slipped, landing on his abdomen. He bounced off and onto his feet on the floor. He then doubled over in pain. blacked out for a second, went into shock and then threw up a little. The school called the paramedics and then me.
By the time I got to the school they were wheeling him into the ambulance. They said it was probably his ribs but not knowing what was really hurting they had to strap him down. I drove my car to the hospital and met up with Kenrik in the ER. Once the Doctor saw him and started pushing around on him he discovered it wasn't the ribs but the abdomen. They did an MRI on his mid section and found he had split his liver and tore his spleen. He was in excruciating pain. Because of injuries he had some internal bleeding.
They moved us to the ICU where he is being closely monitored. He has to have blood drawn every 4 hours and he can't eat or drink until tomorrow sometime. They say its a level 3 which means its highly probable he'll heal on his own without surgery. They will be monitoring the healing process. His age is a bonus when it comes to healing.
If all goes well and the liver and spleen start healing properly he'll be moved to a regular room tomorrow. Bam and Joe gave him a blessing a little while ago. Because of the extreme pain they have been giving him morphine.
If anything changes I'll send you all an update. They said he'd be here over the weekend. We'll see what happens. He'll have to be away from sports till spring. Not sure if he'll be able to snowboard until then either.
Bam and I are good. Taking it all a little at a time. We've been having fun joking with Kenrik. Every once in awhile we get a smile from him.
The ICU nurse told us to prepare for all the rumors. We've already heard that he fell off a pole and was having seizures. Who knows what else people will come up with.
Quite an adventure!!!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness!!!! I couldn't even begin to imagine what your family is going through! I hope all goes well and he has a speedy recovery!
Post a Comment